- Cover the mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing.
- Put used tissues in the waste basket.
- If no tissues are available, cough or sneeze into the upper sleeve or elbow, not the hands.
- In public places, consider wearing a facemask to protect others.
- Wash hands often with soap and warm water, and wash for at least 20 seconds.
- If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
More information on proper coughing and sneezing techniques, along with other educational tools for preventing the spread of infection, can be found at the Center for Disease Control.